Tourism and leisure in northern Alsace
Lembach and the surrounding area
Setting off from Le Cheval Blanc - Lembach, there are numerous options available to you.
In Lembach, be sure not to miss:
- Le Sentier des Poètes: around five kilometres long, this path takes you on a poetic stroll through the village. The route is punctuated with around thirty poems written by local and regional poets, in both French and the local dialect. An original way to discover our region
- Fleckenstein Château: located between Lembach and Niederbronn-les-Bains, a number of fortified castles bear witness to the region's tumultuous history. Among these, Fleckenstein Château, which overlooks the surrounding area, is one the best preserved. Visit the remains of this former stronghold which is just 10 minutes from the Cheval Blanc. If you are visiting with children, head for the Château des Défis (Castle of Challenges), a fun adventure that whisks the entire family back to the Middle Ages. Several hiking trails can also be found around the castle.
- The Maginot Line: in Lembach, discover the Ouvrage du Four-à-Chaux. Built between 1930 and 1935, it has six combat stations, including three artillery positions and 4.5 km of underground passageways.
During your stay at the Cheval Blanc, we suggest the following visits:
- The potters' villages of Betschdorf (23 km away) and Soufflenheim (34 km away): many pottery and ceramics workshops can still be found on the streets of these charming, typically Alsatian villages.
- Hunspach (16 km away): listed as one of 'The Most Beautiful Villages of France', Hunspach offers a chance to learn more about Alsace's unique identity. Many remains of the Maginot Line (including bunkers, pillboxes, lookout points, etc.) can also be found nearby, such as Schoenenbourg Fort.
- Seebach (21 km away): a charming traditional Alsatian village that boasts authentic half-timbered houses and beautiful flower-filled balconies. Also well worth a visit are the villages of Hohwiller (18 km away) and Drusenheim (40 km away).
- History museums: to discover Alsace's fascinating history, we suggest a visit to the Musée Rural de l’Outre-Forêt (a centre that throws light on local popular traditions and arts) in Kutzenhausen (17 km away), the Musée de la Bataille du 6 Août 1870 (Museum of the Battle of 6 August 1870) in Woerth (9 km away), the Musée de l'Imagerie Populaire (which displays popular local hand-painted artworks) in Pfaffenhoffen (26 km away), or the amazing Musée Français du Pétrole (French Oil Museum) in Merkwiller-Pechelbronn (15 km away).
- The Lalique Museum in Wingen-sur-Moder (44 km away): discover the work of René Lalique, including jewellery, perfume bottles, tableware, crystal and glass objects, drawings and more.
- The Royal Palace Music Hall in Kirrwiller (34 km away): this Alsatian cabaret has nothing to envy the famous show venues of the French capital. Here you can enjoy variety shows, musical and dance performances, magic shows and more.
Sports and leisure
From the Ballons des Vosges Nature Park up to the banks of the Rhine, linked by the vast Haguenau Forest, discover exceptional natural environments on foot, on horseback or by bike.
Activities on offer include:
- Mountain biking and bike excursions (bike rental service provide at the hotel), hiking, horse riding...
- Golf: Soufflenheim Golf Club (37 km away), Bitche Golf Club (32 km away)…
- Amusement parks: Nautiland in Haguenau (24 km away), Didiland (12 km away)...
- Casino de Niederbronn-les-Bains (18 km away)
- Water sports: Fleckenstein Lake is only a few minutes from the Cheval Blanc (4 km)
Various events and gatherings take place throughout the year, including:
- Christmas Markets: these are held in towns and villages all over Alsace from the start of the Advent period until the beginning of January
- Saint Nicholas Day: on the 6th of December, the region comes to life with processions, traditional delicacies and festivals
- L’Humour des Notes Festival (music and comedy) in Haguenau from the 9th to the 17th of May 2015
- Streisselhochzeit (traditional wedding ceremony with bouquet), a popular traditional festival held in Seebach from the 17th to the 19th of July 2015
- Semaine des Charbonniers (Charcoal Makers' Week) in Lembach from the 19th of July to the 2nd of August 2015
- Festival International de la Musique (International Music Festival) in Wissembourg from the 19th of August to the 6th of September 2015